Monday 20 January 2014

Kenneth Bae says " there has been no human rights abuse"

 Pyongyang, January 20 (KCNA) -- An American criminal, Kenneth Bae, was interviewed by local and foreign reporters at the Pyongyang Friendship Hospital Monday at his request.
    He said he called the press conference to clarify some facts.
    Over the past 15 months he, through meeting with officials of the Swedish embassy and calls and correspondence with his family, he correctly informed the U.S. government and his family of his criminal acts and humanitarian measures taken by the DPRK government in his behalf, he said, adding:
    But some media are spreading misinformation about me and launching smear campaign against the DPRK, driving me into a difficult situation.
    For example, the U.S. vice-president, at a press conference over the release of another U.S. citizen, Mr. Newman, in December last year, claimed that I have been detained here for no reason.
    Some time ago even my sister reportedly told reporters that I am not guilty. I think such facts enraged people here.
    This is why I am in a puzzle.
    Over the past five months I have been hospitalized, but now I am afraid I may be sent back to the labor camp. Worse still, I am afraid the pardon for me becomes more difficult.
    To cite another example, I was told that some media reports alleged that the DPRK is a "human rights violator", its human rights records are not good and that I have been treated unfairly.
    What I would like to clarify here now is that there has been no human rights abuse and no unfair, severe act for me.
    The DPRK government has done every possible thing for me from the humanitarian point of view. It allowed me to contact with the Swedish embassy and have correspondence and calls with my family. It also gave me an opportunity to meet my mother here and offered me a medical service at the hospital when my disease got worse.
    I, availing myself of this opportunity, call on the U.S. government, media and my family to stop link any smear campaign against the DPRK and false materials with me, making my situation worse.
    I hope that I will be pardoned by the DPRK and go back to my family. I request the U.S. government, media and my family to pay deep concern and make all efforts to this end.
    Bae gave answers to questions raised by reporters. -0-


No comments: